James E. Cary was an important part of Hannibal Regional Hospital since before its creation in 1989. As an exceptional healthcare attorney, Mr. Cary helped guide the hospital through the trying times of the early 1990’s and the rapid growth of recent years. His counsel and advice were invaluable as the hospital pursued Certificates of Need for the Hannibal Children’s Center, the addition of MRI and the creation of the James E. Cary Cancer Center. The Cancer Center was dedicated in memory of Mr. Cary in June 2005.
Mr. Cary was a 1958 graduate of Hannibal High School. He received his bachelor of arts degree in political science from Westminster College in 1962 and graduated from Northwestern University School of Law in Chicago, IL in 1965 with a juris doctor degree. Mr. Cary joined the law firm of Ely & Cary, which later became Cary, Welch & Hickman, LLP. In 2000, Mr. Cary received the Pacesetter Award from the Hannibal Chamber of Commerce which is given for “outstanding leadership and effort to the lasting benefit of the Hannibal community." Prior to that, he was awarded the Community Service Award by the Missouri Bar Association and was inducted into the New Era Healthcare Foundation Hall of Fame.