Thoracic Surgery at Hannibal Regional
What is a Thoracic Surgeon?
A thoracic surgeon specializes in the surgical care of conditions and diseases of the chest in people of all ages. The chest includes the heart, lungs, trachea (windpipe), esophagus, diaphragm, and chest wall.
Thoracic surgeons treat a variety of diseases and conditions that require chest surgery, including heart disease, lung and esophagus cancer, chest trauma, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Thoracic surgeons are also called cardiothoracic surgeons and cardiac surgeons to emphasize heart surgery.
A thoracic surgeon typically:
- Evaluates a patient’s medical history and educates the patient about his or her condition including the surgical treatment and aftercare
- Performs a physical exam including evaluation of blood pressure and vital signs; weight; and the health of the heart, lungs, and blood vessels
- Orders and interprets laboratory and imaging tests and prescribes medications
- Orders and evaluates diagnostic procedures, such as EKG, echocardiogram, and cardiac catheterization
- Diagnoses and treats acute and chronic diseases and conditions that affect the major structures and organs in the chest
- Works closely with your primary care doctor, cardiologist, pulmonologist, and other specialists to provide optimal care
Our Thoracic Surgeon
Click on the picture for more details.