A Brief History of Hannibal Regional Healthcare System

At the turn of the twentieth century, there was no hospital to serve citizens of northeast Missouri. With the opening of Levering Hospital on February 2, 1903, the need for hospital care was met and the first part of what would become Hannibal Regional was created. More than a century later, Hannibal Regional continues this commitment to being the leader in healthcare, furthering their mission of guiding the community to better health and shaping the future of healthcare for its residents.

Prior to the opening of Levering Hospital, the sick were cared for in the home, and any surgery needed was performed there or in a doctor’s office. In 1901, Aaron R. Levering, President of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hannibal, and his wife, Eleanor M. Levering, recognized the need for a hospital to serve the community. The Leverings dedicated land and donated funds for the construction of a hospital in Hannibal and it would be called “Levering Hospital”.

When Levering Hospital opened its doors it was the first erected hospital in northeast Missouri and contained twenty-six patient beds. Throughout its history, Levering Hospital received the support of many other contributors in the form of time, talent and funds. Over the years citizens, religious and civil organizations, and the Levering Hospital Auxiliary generously and unselfishly gave their energy and money to the hospital, truly making it a “Community Partnership.”

A few years later, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital was organized and founded by the Sisters of St. Francis of Maryville, MO. The Reverend Mother, M. Augustine, founder of the Sisters of St. Francis, was also the founder of St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. The land for the hospital was purchased in the fall of 1913, and the hospital was completed and received its first patients in the summer of 1915.

Eight young, energetic nursing sisters were sent to Hannibal to operate the hospital. These sisters, with the help of some local citizens, readied the newly constructed hospital to serve the community. This hospital was located on Virginia Street and had thirty-five patient beds.

In July 1987, after many months of discussion and planning, the Board of Directors for both Levering Hospital and St. Elizabeth Hospital entered into an affiliation agreement to explore the consolidation of both hospitals. In 1988, the two facilities merged, forming Hannibal Regional Hospital.

In addition to celebrating the legacy as an independent provider of health care for the past 115 years, in March Hannibal Regional celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary at their current location. Expanding beyond hospital services, Hannibal Regional now has over 1,200 team members serving 12 counties, offices located in 11 communities, 85 providers and 21 specialties, Hannibal Regional continues to lead the way in providing access to exceptional healthcare and guiding the residents of Northeast Missouri to BETTER.

Timeline

1900s

1902

Cornerstone of Levering Hospital is Created

Cornerstone of Levering Hospital is laid on June 19, 1902 making it the first building to be erected as a hospital in Missouri.

1903

First Patients Received

First patients are received at Levering Hospital's original 26 bed facility.

Levering Auxillary

Levering Auxillary is established.

First Nursing Class Graduates

Levering Hospital's School of Nursing graduates their first class.

1905

Residence Hall for Nurses Founded

A.R. Levering Family funds construction of residence hall for Levering Hospital nurses.

Levering Hospital Opens

First patients are received at Levering Hospital's original 26 bed facility.

1910s

1913

St. Elizabeth's land acquired

The Sisters of St. Francis of Maryville, Missouri purchase a 220 acre tract of land for future site of St. Elizabeth's Hospital

1915

St. Elizabeth's Hospital is Complete

First patients are received at St. Elizabeth's original 35 bed facility.

1916

St. Elizabeth Auxillary

St. Elizabeth Auxillary is established

1930s

1930

Addition to Levering Hospital complete

The addition to Levering Hospital is completed. Gift of business man Wilson B. Pettibone

1940s

1940

St. Elizabeth Hospital Chapel

St. Elizabeth Hospital's Chapel and Sister's residence is completed

1941

Levering Hospital Receives Another Addition

Levering Hospital receives another addition Dr. J.W. Hardesty applied for another addition to Levering Hospital to be built under the Federal Works Project administration. This addition provided 42 rooms, bringing the total bed capacity to 116.

1942

Levering Obstetrical department complete

The new levering Hospital Obstetrical department and 3rd floor nursery is completed.

1950s

1954

St. Elizabeth groundbreaking

St. Elizabeth's groundbreaking for new addition that will more than double the hospital's size.

1960s

1960

Levering addition completed

The final Levering large addition and renovation completed making it a 150 patient hospital.

1962

Hannibal School of Practical Nursing

Hannibal Public School of Practical Nursing opens and is later incorporated into the Hannibal Public School System.

1970s

1973

St. Elizabeth's West Wing Completed

The six-level west wing of St. Elizabeth's is completed.

1980s

1987

Hannibal Regional Healthcare System is formed

Levering Hospital works toward consolidation with St. Elizabeth's Hospital. Boards at Levering and St. Elizabeth's enter affiliation agreement.

1988

Consolidation of Acute Care Services

Hannibal hospitals consolidate Acute Care Services at the former st. Elizabeth's facility.

1990s

1990

Approval of Cancer Program

Hannibal Regional Hospital's Cancer Program approved by American College of Surgeons

1991

LaGrange, MO Clinic Opens

Hannibal Regional Hospital opens its first primary care clinic in LaGrange, MO

1994

Primary Care Clinics

Center and Shelbina Primary Care Clinics open

1995

Primary Care Clinic

Canton Primary Care Clinic opens

1996

Primary Care Clinics

Monroe City and LaBelle Primary Care Clinics open

1997

Primary Care Clinics

Vandalia Primary Care Clinic opens

1998

Open MRI

Open MRI was one of the many technological innovations introduced to the Tri-state area in 1998

Outpatient Rehabilitation

Hannibal Regional Hospital Physical Therapy and Hand Center opens

2000s

2000

Hannibal Children's Center opens

Hannibal Children's Center provides parents with the ability to work with the comfort of knowing their children are safe and secure in an environment which is developmentally supportive of their individual needs.

2001

Expansion

Hannibal Regional Hospital's newly expanded Sleep Diagnostics Laboratory opens, a Home Health Agency is opens in in Hull, Illinois, there is a Primary Care Clinic opened in Palmyra, Missouri and the Diabetes Center receives accreditation.

2002

Primary Care Clinic

Bowling Green Primary Care Clinic is opened

PET Scanning

Positron emission Tomography (PET) is added to the Radiology department

2003

James E. Cary Cancer Center

Hannibal Regional Hospital and Hannibal Clinic develop the area's first cancer center

2008

New ES Expansion Complete

Hannibal Regional Hospital opens a brand new state of the art emergency services department with 18 rooms.

2009

Department dedications

Hannibal Regional Hospital dedicated the new Chris Coons Women's Care Center and the Alfred F. Nagy Emergency Department.

2010s

2011

Express Care Walmart

Hannibal, MO "Express Care opens inside Hannibal's Walmart Supercenter"

2011

Acquisition of Pike Medical Group

Added clinics in Bowling Green and Louisiana.

2011

Northeast Missouri Imaging Associates and Hannibal Medical Services join our team

Welcome, Northeast Missouri Imaging Associates and Hannibal Medical Services to our team!

CFM joins Hannibal Regional

Kirksville Chamber of Commerce and Complete Family Medicine hosted a ribbon cutting to celebrate CFM joining Hannibal Regional.

Groundbreaking for Expansion Construction

The groundbreaking celebrated the beginning of the construction on the expansion of the Hannibal Regional Medical Group building.

2018

Bowling Green Ribbon Cutting

The new clinic in Bowling Green open house and ribbon cutting.

Previous Decade

Next Decade