It is reasonable to assume that no one is eager to go to surgery, but many symptoms and conditions do require surgical intervention. When exploring different doctors, do not forget to look at the different ways doctors can perform the surgeries as well. Traditional open surgery requires a large incision, but you may be a candidate for a less invasive approach, such as robotic-assisted surgery.
Hannibal Regional’s Robotic Surgery Program offers the opportunity for specially trained surgeons to perform a wide range of delicate and complex surgeries through a minimally invasive technique.
How Hannibal Regional is guiding you to BETTER through technology and innovation:
Robotic-assisted surgery at Hannibal Regional provides your surgeon with three main advantages while remaining 100% in control throughout the entire surgery: superior visualization, enhanced dexterity, and greater precision.
- Visualization: Enhanced visualization is possible because of the daVinci optics within the surgeon console and endoscope. Together they provide the surgeon with a highly magnified three-dimensional high-definition (3DHD) image. With this enhanced visualization and accurate depth perception, the surgeon can see clearer anatomical planes and structures.
- Dexterity: DaVinci’s EndoWrist technology enables surgeons to have fully wristed dexterity with a minimally invasive approach. These wristed robotic instruments were inspired and designed to mimic the human hand, but offer a greater range of motion enabling surgeon precision.
- Precision: The daVinci system seamlessly adjusts hand-to-instrument ratios, and tremor reduction further enhances the fingertip control. The stable ergonomic platform in the system virtually eliminates physiologic tremor. This along with the advanced visualization and dexterity of the wristed instruments, surgeons are able to reach intricate areas without the need to manipulate large areas of surrounding tissue. This provides the surgeon with greater precision, flexibility, and control.
How are we guiding you to BETTER?
Our goal is to guide you to BETTER faster with advanced technology and innovation by offering minimally invasive procedures. The daVinci surgical system offers greater visualization and instruments acting as an extension to the surgeon’s arms allowing them to access smaller areas without manipulating or disturbing surrounding tissue. This approach helps our patients have shorter hospitalizations, reduced pain, minimal need for pain medication, faster recovery time, reduced risk of infection, less blood loss, and minimal scarring.
Robotic-Assisted Procedures at Hannibal Regional
All robotic surgeries are performed by creating small (approximately 1 inch) incisions, in the abdomen. Ports, which are similar to small tubes, are placed at each incision. The robot arms are connected to each port and then the instruments and camera are inserted. The surgeon will move to the console where they will have full control of the camera and instruments.
The Procedure: 3-5 small, approximately 1 inch incisions. The uterus is freed from surrounding tissue and removed through the vagina. The vaginal cuff/opening is then closed with absorbable suture.
- Robotic Assisted Hernia Repairs
- Inguinal Hernias
- Umbilical Hernias
- Paraesophageal Hernias /Hiatal Hernias
- Robotic-Assisted Cholecystecomy
- Prostatectomy: Before with an open approach, men were more concerned about the possibility of incontinence or sexual dysfunction after surgery. However, the daVinci optics offer a three-dimensional, high definition, magnified image that allows for identification of surrounding structures and muscle greatly reducing the risk of damage to these areas. The prostate is eventually removed through one of the small incisions on the abdomen.
Our Robotic Surgeons
Click on the picture for more details.
Richie Goriparthi, MD, MSc
General and Bariatric Surgery
Viacheslav Iremashvili MD, PhD
Mujeeb Siddiqui, DO, FACOS, FASMBS